Response to Scholarship Winners’ Readings

I attended a reading of poetry and one short fiction piece by winners of a creative writing scholarship.  While I enjoyed the experience, I found the works hard to follow because I could not read them.  The writers didn’t read especially fast, so that was not the problem, but I think because I couldn’t see the words, I didn’t follow them or understand the poems as well.  The first poems that were read were awfully depressing.  I think that depressing or sad subjects are very easy to write about in poetry, they have images that are the easiest to conjure up and can be powerful with just a few words.  Not that I have anything against terribly depressing works, but I find that I would much rather listen to something uplifting as opposed to someone getting hit by a train.  The short story was confusing as well, maybe I didn’t get it because I couldn’t see the words and so I just had to go with it, but it didn’t have an ending and I didn’t get the point of it.  I didn’t particularly like the character, though I do think the author did a wonderful job at characterizing him; he was extremely awkward and that’s not always easy to do.  I also think she had a bit too much detail and not enough story, but I could be missing something.

I enjoyed one poem by the third reader, I’m not quite sure but I think it was about uranium and the destruction of nature. I guess I liked it because I connect to nature and I don’t want to see it destroyed.  I also felt he conveyed emotion effectively, but at times it became a little too much and bordered on frantic, but maybe that’s what he was going for.  His other poems I didn’t quite understand and I don’t have any notes on them. Like I said, it was really hard to follow because I was going just off their voice, and they talk more quickly than I read and I can go back and reread.  It would have been nice if there was a handout.

My favorite poem of the afternoon was one of the last ones, about a lake somewhere in Great Britain (I think).  I really enjoyed the poem because while he was reading it, I felt myself being pulled into the scene he was writing about.  The imagery was very peaceful and soothing.  I loved the image of the moss and flowers, how the bark consumes an individual and breathing as the sound of rain.  You could tell the author put a lot of thought and emotion into his words, which made a strong poem.  I also enjoyed his poems because they weren’t completely depressing or super politically driven.  It’s nice to just hear a good poem that’s not trying to pound you over the head.

Tags: , ,

One Response to “Response to Scholarship Winners’ Readings”

1. Warren Rochelle Says:

Please review the journal guidelines. Journal 6 wasn’t to be posted to the blog.